Back to Navigation

Finding Aid - Guthrie and Kerwin fonds (PF205)

Guthrie and Kerwin fonds

1895-1905, 1910-1927

20.5 cm of textual records (5 v.)

Administrative History
The Guthrie & Kerwin law firm was a general law practice based in Guelph, Ontario. By 1916, the firm was comprised of lawyer and Member of Parliament Hugh Guthrie and his partner, Patrick Kerwin, and it likely ceased to operate after the appointment of Kerwin to the High Court of Justice of Ontario in 1932. The history of the firm begins in Guelph with Guthrie's father, Donald Guthrie, who joined with John Juchereau Kingsmill to form Kingsmill and Guthrie in 1863. Upon Kingsmill's appointment to the bench in 1867, Guthrie became the senior partner of the firm and was joined by James Watt to form Guthrie & Watt. The firm changed again, to Guthrie, Watt & Cutten, with the addition of partner Walter Hoyt Cutten, who joined the firm prior to 1873. By 1888, Cutten had left the firm, and Guthrie and Watt practiced together until Guthrie's son, Hugh Guthrie, joined the firm in 1894. The firm of Guthrie, Watt & Guthrie operated until the departure of James Watt prior to 1906. Watt later formed a partnership with his son, Frederick, in 1908. The firm, now Guthrie & Guthrie, continued until 1911, when Patrick Kerwin joined the firm. Guthrie, Guthrie & Kerwin operated until the death of Donald Guthrie in 1915 and shortly after became Guthrie & Kerwin.
 
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of general suits dockets, a financial ledger and a bank account book documenting the practice of the law firm Guthrie & Kerwin, and its various predecessor firms.
 
Restrictions
No restrictions on access.
 
Reference Code / Title / Date
2011041-001 Miscellaneous docket XVII: Guthrie and Watt. -- 1895-1899
2011041-002 General suits docket 16: Guthrie Watt & Guthrie. -- 1899-1905
2011041-003 Ledger. -- 1910-1922
2011041-004 General suits docket 18: Guthrie Guthrie and Kerwin. -- 1912-1927
2011041-005 Guthrie & Kerwin: account book. -- 1922-1924
Terms or Concepts Explained