Back to Navigation

Change Your Name

By-Law 8 requires licensees to promptly notify the Law Society about any changes to their legal or assumed names. Licensees can use the Mailing Name field in the Change of Information section of the Law Society Portal to provide information about using an assumed name. Legal name changes should be reported through this process.

You must inform the Law Society as soon as possible if your legal name changes.

How to Report a Legal Name Change to the Law Society

You must submit a special petition (PDF) and provide proof of your name change.

The Law Society accepts only the following documents as proof of a name change:

  • Marriage certificate
  • Change of name certificate
  • Birth certificate 

If you require accommodation under the Ontario Human Rights Code relating to changing your name on our records, please contact Membership Services.

Notarized Copies or Originals

The Law Society accepts both notarized copies and originals of supporting documents. We recommend that you provide a notarized copy, as originals are not returned. After processing a request, we place all supporting documents in your member file.

Mailing Address

Mail the special petition and proof of your name change to:

Membership Services
Law Society of Ontario
Osgoode Hall, 130 Queen St W
Toronto, Ontario M5H 2N6

Special Petition for Change of Name to Records and Rolls of the Society (PDF)


If you have questions about name changes email Membership Services at or call (416) 947-3315 (toll-free 1-800-668-7380 ext. 3315) and ask to be transferred.

Terms or Concepts Explained