Back to Navigation

Permanent Transfer Under the NMA or TMA


Lawyers who wish to be licensed in Ontario who are from Canadian jurisdictions that have signed and/or implemented the National Mobility Agreement (NMA) or the Territorial Mobility Agreement (TMA) (reciprocating jurisdictions) may apply for permanent mobility under subsection 9(2) of By-Law 4.

Lawyers from the following reciprocating jurisdictions may apply for permanent transfer in order to be licensed in Ontario:

National Mobility Agreement

British Columbia
New Brunswick
Nova Scotia
Prince Edward Island

Territorial Mobility Agreement

Northwest Territories

Lawyers from Quebec who wish to obtain a class L1 licence must apply by way of the licensing examinations under subsection 9(1) of By-Law 4, as Quebec has not implemented the National Mobility Agreement.

Who can apply

Lawyers from reciprocating jurisdictions who are in good standing and entitled to practise in their home jurisdiction may apply to be licensed in Ontario under subsection 9(2) of By-Law 4, based on the National Mobility Agreement or the Territorial Mobility Agreement. Applicants must remain entitled to practice in their home jurisdiction until they are called in Ontario.

Application Requirements

  • Completed and original Application for Licence under the National Mobility Agreement or the Territorial Mobility Agreement and subsection 9(2) of By-Law 4
  •  Non-refundable fee for administration, reading material, and licensing
  • Original Certificates(s) of Standing (dated within the last 30 days) from each Law Society of which you are or have been a member, inside and outside of Canada. NOTE: Your Certificate(s) of Standing must be replaced if it becomes more than 60 days old at the time your application is ready to be approved by Complaints & Compliance 
  • A notarized copy of your Canadian Birth Certificate as proof of age and full legal name, OR
    A notarized copy (front and back) of your Canadian Citizenship Card
  • Two colour passport photos taken within the past 12 months
  • Original required Reading Declaration
  • Additional documents as required
  • Information regarding your complete work history for the last 5 years

All applications and related information and documentation must be correct, complete and received by the Complaints & Compliance department no later than 35 business days prior to the applicant's anticipated licensing date.

Application Process

This is a two-part process:

PART I Application for permanent transfer and completion of the required reading materials

All applications and attachments are reviewed by Complaints & Compliance. If the review reveals that the application cannot be approved then a Complaints & Compliance Law Clerk will contact the applicant to request additional information or advise of changes.

Applicants must read the required reading materials and submit the original signed Reading Declaration before applications will be approved for licensing.

Complaints & Compliance requires at least 35 business days to process the application for transfer and will notify applicants in writing confirming their approval.

PART II Licensing Process

The Licensing Process, Licensing and Accreditation department will contact applicants to provide details regarding the licensing process, once the application for transfer has been approved by Complaints & Compliance and the original Reading Declaration has been submitted.

Temporary Arrangements due to COVID-19 - Completed Applications & Inquiries

In support of public health recommendations to reduce the spread of COVID-19, Law Society staff are working remotely. The Law Society’s work at home plan will continue to be re-assessed as the situation develops based on recommendations from public health officials.

Until such time as the Law Society fully reopens its physical offices, we ask that you communicate with us electronically, or by phone, where ever possible. If submitting an application, please send a copy of the application and supporting documents to us by email to  

This arrangement may result in delays in our ability to respond to your communications and we ask for your patience as we adjust our operations to manage the dangers to the community posed by COVID-19.

Non-refundable Administrative Fees

A non-refundable application fee in the amount of $1,450 (CAD) + HST must be received by the Law Society in order to commence processing the licensing application.

The application fee includes the administrative processing fee, the cost of reading materials, and licensing.

NOTE: Annual Law Society membership fees are payable once the licence has been granted.

Paying Administrative Fees

Application fees and renewal fees, where applicable, should be paid through the Law Society Store.

Visit the Law Society store at to pay the necessary fees online.

You may also pay the applicable fee(s) by enclosing a certified cheque or money order with your application. All cheques should be made payable to the “Law Society of Ontario”.

Proof of Payment or a Certified Cheque/Money Order to Accompany All Applications

Payment or a copy of the receipt for payment must accompany all applications.

Links to Application and additional information

Links to Applicable By-Law and Agreements

  • By-Law 4
  • For the National Mobility Agreement PDF or the Territorial Mobility Agreement PDF visit the Resources page on the Federation of Law Societies of Canada website at


All questions about the application for transfer should be directed to Complaints & Compliance by contacting the Law Society at (416) 947-3315 (toll-free 1-800-668-7380 x3315) and asking to be transferred, or emailing Complaints & Compliance at

All questions about the Licensing Process should be directed to the Licensing Process, Licensing and Accreditation department by contacting the Law Society at (416) 947-3315 (toll-free 1-800-668-7380 x3315) and asking to be transferred, or emailing the Licensing Process, Licensing and Accreditation department using the Contact Page.


The Law Society of Ontario is committed to ensuring that our websites and web applications are accessible for people with disabilities. We have also made efforts to make Law Society documents accessible to everyone. If you need any of our documents or forms in an alternate format that is accessible to you, please contact us.

Terms or Concepts Explained